Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Questions concerning Windows 7 Beta

Is this it? I mean, probably, right? The thing is pretty fucking good, very stable, very fast.

Question:

Is this it for the taskbar? Cause I would really like to have an option to make specific programs not group together.  Yes, I realize there is a little bit of customization with the taskbar, but grouping options are limited to “Always combine, hide labels” – the default, “Combine when taskbar is full,” and “Never combine.”  Microsoft, if you’re really giving me control of my taskbar, why can’t I just pick and choose which ones I DON’T want grouped?

I mean I’d really like to have my Pidgin windows separate.  But that’s really the only thing I care about.  I can’t figure out a way to do it.  I’m constantly switching Pidgin windows.  Having two open makes a previously 1-click action a 2-clicker.  Shoot.

Also, why the hell can’t I just put the icons anywhere on the taskbar, like on apps for gnome-panel?

Don’t get me wrong, it really isn’t that bad – and I love the grouping functionality a LOT, especially in programs like Word, Notepad, Explorer, and basically any program that could benefit from a “tabbed”-esque interface.  And Jump Lists being SO functional makes the taskbar button that much more useful, as I feel Jump Lists are a GREAT way to find and open files.  Heck, the reason I love Tomboy Notes on Linux is because it provides me with a little drop-down of my recent notes that I can easily manage to a degree.  Jump Lists suddenly give Notepad all the power of Tomboy Notes.  (Finally!)  And I’ve been waiting soooo long for Word to have a tabbed interface! 

Anyway, my point is, keep up the great work and keep developing the taskbar – don’t let it stagnate like it has since it’s introduction in Windows 95.  Please!

Question:

When will developers have the ability to program their own unique … what do you call these things? The things that come up when you hover over a taskbar item?  Hoverboxes, I’ll call ‘em… do developers already know what they need to know to program these mini-apps?  Because that’s what they should be.  WMP12 already demonstrates it.

taskbarwmp

Fucking BUTTONS in that shit!  Winamp is suuuch a better program, how long will it be before I can do this with Winamp?!?!

Another request: make any program’s balloon notification from the system tray go to the action center.  That’s what I thought it was going to do – hide those fuckers but put ‘em all in one place when I’m ready to look at ‘em! Then I could just have the action center icon in my tray, and presumably it would change whenever I had messages… but I would be balloon pop-up free.

No comments:

Blog Archive