Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I SHOULDN’T HAVE TO DO THAT (in Linux)!

You know, I really enjoyed my six-month-or-so stint with Ubuntu Studio, but I have to admit that since trying Windows 7 6959, I’ve been hooked.  I love the new taskbar.  I love the jumplists. 

No, Windows doesn’t have compiz, it isn’t free software, it doesn’t have a good repository system at all, it could be more customizable.

But it also actually plays flash video, doesn’t complain when multiple applications want to work with audio, and natively runs powerful editing software like Premiere.  I found not one good video editing application on Linux.  Sure, I could run Premiere in Virtualbox – but with just 2 gigs of RAM in this computer (I know, 4 is so cheap now!) it doesn’t really run all that well.  But this is really what ended up happening a lot: I always had Virtualbox running because flash video IS such an important component of my web browser’s functionality.  If I go to a page with like 30 Youtube videos embedded, my entire system may have locked up.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s fun, it’s a thrill, it feels good to use open source software.

Yes, it’s going places.  I’m sure linux will conquer flash video.  Linux is going to be a GREAT alternative in a few years, and I’m glad it’s finally being shipped by some major PC manufacturers.  But is it going to be because our computers are so fast that emulation is a cinch, or will it be because people are actually actively developing linux software?

I want to hear about a competitor to the Windows 7 taskbar.  I want to hear about how they’re going to rip off jump lists.   Because they’re great ideas.  And I love me some gnome-panels, really!

No comments:

Blog Archive